High school sophomores Gary Searle and Brendan Lawlor have had enough. Day in and day out, for more than two years, they have been harassed, beaten up, and cursed out by most of the jocks at Middleton High – especially by football player Sam Flach. Armed with guns they’ve stolen from a neighbor’s collection, Gary and Brendan storm a school dance, booby trap all the doors with homemade bombs, and prepare to turn their high school caste system upside down with a violent show of force. When it’s all over, lives will be changed forever.
Could this tragedy have been prevented? Who, if anyone, is to blame? Give a Boy a Gun attempts to give a voice to the countless sides of the school violence issue.
Voice of Youth Advocates
Voice of Youth Advocates' Top Shelf Fiction recommendation
- American Library Association: Popular Paperbacks For Young Adults.
- Kansas: Ten Selection for Middle School/Junior High (Kansas State Reading Circle).
- Minnesota: Maud Hart Lovelace Award (Master List).
- New York City: Washington Irving Children's Choice Book Award.
- New York State: Charlotte Award (winner).
- Pennsylvania: Young Reader's Choice Award (Master List).
- Rhode Island: Teen Book Award (winner).
- Voice Of Youth Advocates: Top Shelf Fiction for Middle Schoolers.