For DeShawn, joining a gang seems like a terrible decision — why would he want to work for a pittance running drugs when the inevitable consequences are jail or an early death? A bright boy, he does well in school and tries his best to obey the grandmother who has raised him since his mother’s accidental death in gang crossfire. But as DeShawn enters adolescence, the lure of the streets becomes a stronger force, pulling him away from his seemingly meaningless academics and toward the glamour of life in the Douglass Disciples, his housing project’s premier gang. He knows he’s risking his life, but DeShawn sees no other hope for supporting his pregnant girlfriend and growing family without the fast money life as a Disciple can provide.
School Library Journal
Voice of Youth Advocates
- Kentucky: Kentucky Bluegrass Master List (nominee). 2010
- Louisiana: Teen Reader List. 2012
- Missouri: Gateway Readers Award (nominee). 2010
- National Council for the Social Studies (NCSS) and the Children's Book Council: Notable Social Studies Trade Book for Young People. 2010
- North Carolina: Gateway Readers Award (nominee). 2010